13.12.08

New Phone for Wormgear!

So....I got a new phone this past Tuesday! I decided to get the HTC Touch Pro. So far, I am really liking it. Mine has service from Sprint which is a PCS network, but is known for reliable service and high speed 3G data; and from my experiences so far, that does seem to hold true.

The HTCTP is a smartphone and comes pre-installed with Windows Mobile 6.1. Many of my readers might think this is a little strange considering I have become more of a Mac guy in the past few years, but unfortunately I do need to use my phone for work, and therefore it needs to be integrated with my company's communications network. This makes iPhone a poor choice for me, unfortunately. Windows Mobile 6.1 comes bundled together with MS Office Mobile, which gives me access to my company's outlook exchange server and all documentation maintained by my colleagues. Additionally, the phone comes equipped with a stylus, a slide-out qwerty keyboard, Sprint Navigation turn-by-turn GPS, a 3.2 MP camera w/ flash, a microSD slot, Sprint TV, WiFi, Bluetooth and plenty of nice software like Opera web browser, an accuweather.com widget, the most popular IM programs, and Sprint Music. The phone comes out-of-the box with loads of other goodies like an RSS reader and a streaming media player, as well as the usual suspects like SMS and Picture messaging and a comprehensive contact management system, all of which is very nicely compiled into the HTC TouchFlo touch-screen interface. In the box with the phone comes the manual and getting started guides, a case, the charger and USB cable, audio/video OUT connector, ear phones, a screen protector and a CD-ROM with MS ActiveSync and an electronic version of the manual. HTC has seemingly used some kind of proprietary USB connection. It looks like a rectangle with one corner cut off. Never fear, however, because despite it's exclusive-looking shape, standard mini-USB cables work just fine-- it's what use most of the time since it comes with only one cable and I need to connect it to many different devices.

What I like most about the phone is that it's quite simple to use with comfy controls, it's highly customisable, and is ready to operate as a complete, all-around communicator right out of the box that integrates seamlessly into any Microsoft-based network. Also, its dimensions are such that it's not so small that it's frustrating to use, and not so large that it's unwieldy. What I don't like so much is the fact that it is Windows Mobile which comes with its expected difficulties such as the fact that it's sometimes slow and sluggish in its responsiveness (though not too bad so far), it's a little bit heavy (5.3 ounces with battery) and the battery life is quite short (charging once per day is mandatory).

All-in-all this is a great product. If you're thinking about getting a new phone, I'd recommend stopping in to your local Sprint store and trying it out. I don't think the HTC Touch Pro is for everyone; it may be annoying to people with thicker fingers, for example. Although I wouldn't say it's totally amazing, it does what it sets out to do extremely well, and it may just suit your needs perfectly. Nice work, HTC!

No comments: